Saturday, April 18, 2015

Hydration is key to performing your best


Hydration is key to feeling your best! It also helps you perform the best. If you’re a runner, like me than you’re probably running 5-6 times a week and you need to be drinking enough water. One the worst feelings is being dehydrated. According to http://www.nata.org/nr07242003b symptoms of dehydration in athletes include dry mouth, thirst, headache, being irritable or cranky, seeming bored or disinterested, dizziness, cramps, excessive fatigue, and not being able to run as fast or play as well as usual.

I think this is so important, especially as the weather starts to warm up and people are started to be outside longer. This topic actually came to mind yesterday during track practice. We were running an OD (over distance) run on the trail and when we came back our coach wanted us to do 6 strides on the track. Now keep in mind that it was 80 degrees yesterday which, is a huge change from what the weather has been. Anyway, when we had just finished the first stride I was getting really bad cramps, I felt dizzy, and my body just didn’t feel right. We finished our second stride and I told my friend how I felt. I just thought I was out of shape (which wouldn’t make much sense because it’s the middle of the season) but, my friend told me I might be dehydrated. I thought about it and sure enough, I hadn’t had much to drink that day.

If you think you’re dehydrated during or after a workout http://www.nata.org/nr07242003b says to go to a cool place and maintain normal hydration (as indicated by baseline body weight). Drinking a sports drink is good too, because they usually contain carbohydrates and electrolytes, which provide energy and replace what you’ve sweated out during your workout. If you’re so dehydrated that you’re nauseas and vomiting then, that’s a good indicator you should get yourself to the hospital ASAP, and get yourself some fluids. Hopefully it wouldn’t come to that but, it just shows how important it is to catch dehydration early.  

A good way to stay hydrated would be to bring a water bottle to work or school. I do this every day…. honestly I can’t live without my water bottle.  The recommended amount of water a day is half a gallon, which sounds like a lot. It will make you go to the bathroom more often I’m sure but, it’s worth it. Hydration is so important because our bodies are about 60% water. If you’re an athlete, you’re losing a lot more water than a person who doesn’t work out because you’re sweating. This means you have more water to replace than a person who isn’t active.

Just remember this; if you or a friend is having symptoms of dehydration, treat it early so you/they won’t have to get medical attention. I promise you will feel better and perform better.



487

No comments:

Post a Comment